After this whole pizza marathon on Friday (post is still to come) I felt so full yesterday morning that I came to a decision. At home we need another week or two of Indian food. It started the whole summer, when we thought we would try cooking Indian (vegetarian) for a week. One week quickly became two, then four weeks. Never had I felt so fit and healthy. Since then I have no problem with spicy food. I still remember our first curry after an Indian recipe. As we two sat there with a crimson head, completely enchanted by the good taste. It was spicy, but so aromatic. A true dream! I did not have a blog back then. Today, however, already and so I want most recipes next week n only share too happy with you, to be able to enchant you with it something in the hope. The beginning is to make a pretty simple, fast court. An Indian carrots rice . One of our absolute favorite dishes meanwhile (next to the mountain lentils curry ).
The advantage of Indian cuisine
The Indian cuisine is in the preparation partly quite a bit complicated, as much is worked with spices. I remember how I initially had the recipe next to me and desperately tried to execute each step exactly. In the meantime I have learned a lot and know that the key lies in the preparation. Of course, at the beginning I did not get the idea to measure my spices before and throw them into small bowls. Luckily I know better today! Therefore, all ingredients are first prepared and distributed in small bowls.
Indian carrots rice
The carrots rice can even be prepared really well, because you can cook the rice the day before or if you have time between 12 – 15 minutes. I cooked two servings of rice, as I need it today as a side dish for a sweet potato curry. In addition, rice can also be frozen very well.
The Indian cuisine has a gigantic range of spices. For you love I’ll try to be exotic things such as dried fenugreek or asafoetida to dispense. Most spices should be readily available in the Asia store of your confidence. Today you do not need too much. Some ginger-garlic paste (you can also buy, at the end of the post I’ll tell you how to prepare it quickly and easily ♥) plus a bay leaf, two green cardamom pods, two cloves and a bit of cumin. The dish is only really delicious by …
Honestly. I could only eat the topping. It consists of fried onions, raisins and usually cashews. As you can see I used peanuts this time. Our cashew stock was exhausted again and of course they were in the shop around the corner on the same day also sold out … Incidentally, I always use blue grapes instead of raisins, because I like the taste the most. So the decision is completely free for you. The main thing is that they are tight and not too sticky.
Who says now he does not like raisins, I say that. Neither do I! Especially not in baked goods or mitgekocht. Bah! This is just not mine, but for this topping first the onions are roasted and then nuts and raisins are added. These are then nicely fried and caramelize easily. That’s how the sky must taste!
Now I have written much more than I actually wanted and still nothing to the critical points in the preparation tells …
The preparation of carrots rice
Basically, the preparation is not that difficult. First, the rice must be cooked. I almost exclusively cook basmati rice. After all these years it’s just my favorite. Already the scent! Gorgeous! Add some butter and I’m happy. I prepare it in the saucepan as follows:
- Wash the rice – the rinse water should not be whitish if possible
- Put one part rice with two parts water in a pot – if necessary add salt
- Boil with the lid closed and simmer at low speed until all water has disappeared. If possible, do not open the lid. The whole takes about 12 – 15 minutes.
- Stir the cooked rice briefly and add a piece of butter to taste (if used as a side dish). Set aside until use with the lid closed .
So much for the rice. Everyone grinds carrots, right?
Tricky will be there when topping. You can not do anything really wrong, but there is an optimum! First, the onions – the shape is you free again, I had already rings and all sorts – simmer over medium heat with a little oil / ghee and a pinch of salt until they are just golden. It takes just over 5 minutes. Important, the onions should not be brown yet , because now the raisins and nuts are added. Roast the whole thing until the raisins are bloated (see picture). Until then, another 5 minutes have passed. Do not worry, this is the most time-consuming step and the topping is done! Do not eat away now!
In the same pan, the spices are then roasted with a little oil so that the oil can take on the taste. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and then the carrots. If these are cooked, then the rice follows. Stir a few times, a pinch of salt and the food is basically ready.
If you want, you can add a pinch of Garam Masala and / or lemon juice to the whole thing. Sometimes I have days too, because everything is too dry for me, then I add some coconut milk. This fits best a fresh salad with a light yoghurt dressing. All in all, a simple, easy-to-prepare, light meal.
One last hint
Indian recipes usually contain information such as 0.25 tsp turmeric. It’s more like measuring with a regular spoon, so I bought a set of measuring spoons. The supposedly in some 1 € stores already for 1 €. I have paid for my maybe 3 € and I’m very happy with it. In my recipes, I also use these measurements. If you do not have measuring spoons this is not a problem. I’ll give you a short translation of my measurement units, but I’ll soon include that in the page as the subpage.
- 1 tsp (5 ml) is equivalent to about 2 level TL
- 2 tablespoons (à 15 ml) correspond to approx. 3 coated EL (à 10 ml)
- 0.25 tsp. (1.25 ml) is a little bit more than a knife tip
- 0.5 tsp (2.5 ml) is equal to 1 tsp
I hope that was helpful, otherwise contact me calmly with any questions.
I hope you enjoy your meal with this delicious carrot rice and find it just as tasty as me.
Ginger garlic paste
So after half a novel ( sorry ) now fast the preparation for the ginger-garlic paste . For me, as a rule of thumb 10 g of ginger on a clove of garlic has proven. That will give you a little more than 1 teaspoon of paste. You can make these by finely grating ginger and garlic and mixing them together, or puree both into a paste. You can process the whole in a mortar to a paste that I rather not like that, because it sticks everything.
Usually I do that before I start cooking, but since I want to cook Indian for at least a week, I have produced right away:
- 90 g of ginger and about 12 toes chop garlic rather medium to small size (a small tuber) in pieces
- Use the blender to make a fine paste
- Add a pinch of salt and pour into airtight glass.
- Store in the refrigerator and use as needed
- 100 g of uncooked rice or just over 210 g of cooked rice
- 100 g carrots
- 0.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 0.25 teaspoons cumin
- 1.5 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 0.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 onion or several small ones (70 – 100 g)
- 25 g cashews or peanuts
- 20 g raisins / grapes
- a pinch of salt
- Lemon juice (optional)
- 0.25 tsp Garam Masala (optional)
- Coconut milk (optional)
- Wash the rice and cook according to the package instructions or experience.
- Meanwhile, cut onions into thin rings or strips. Wash carrots, peel and grate. To prepare spices. Weigh nuts and raisins.
- Heat the pan on a medium heat. Add ghee / oil. Mix the onions with a pinch of salt and add to the pan.
- Once the onions get color (golden), add the nuts and raisins. Continue to roast until the raisins begin to inflate. Make sure that the onions do not turn black. Put everything carefully in a bowl, leaving the remaining oil in the pan.
- Add some extra fat to the pan and slightly reduce heat. Then add the bay leaf and cumin, cardamom and cloves. Roast until the aroma releases, then add the ginger-garlic paste (note that can inject!). Roast briefly until the aroma releases here too.
- Add the carrots (heat if necessary) and stir until they are cooked.
- Add rice and stir again. Fry until the rice is warm.
- Season with salt. Possibly. with lemon juice and garam masala. If the whole thing is too dry, you can add coconut milk.
- Put the carrots rice on a plate and spread the topping on it or lift the topping under the rice.
- Serve with a salad and enjoy!