What lasts long is good in the end, or how was that? I think I needed a few tries to finally be satisfied. Now I can offer you this simple Pide basic recipe. But what is Pide exactly? In principle it is a form of pizza, classically stuffed with cheese and spinach or even with turkish sucuk sausage. The pages are turned up and allow a generous filling! For me, of course, there is the variant with cheese and spinach
It took me four tries to perfect the recipe and I have already tormented my IG followers a bit with delicious pide pictures
Why are you bothering?
I am a little perfectionist from time to time and when I post something, it is only when I’m really happy with it. It was important to me that this pide is easy to prepare, without food processor or similar. With ingredients that you can buy in any supermarket. Above all, the bottom should be baked so that you only have to cut the pide into pieces and then eat it with your hands
You can bake this with any flour, no matter if Type 405 or 550. All you need is water, some yeast and a pinch of sugar and salt. Thus, the basic dough is not only vegetarian, but also vegan.
Classically, one would actually only use cheese and spinach for the spinach cheese filling. However, this is too dry for me, so I mix some Greek yoghurt underneath. Of course you should not miss sesame and garlic!
The best part of the recipe?
You can vary the filling freely! We have already filled it with leftover Bolognese sauce (together with shepherd’s cheese) or with chopped tomatoes and some salami. Your creativity knows no bounds.
But beware! The filling should not be too liquid, otherwise there will be soup on the plate when cutting it. And to give the border an extra nice color, it is coated with a mixture of olive oil and egg (or milk) before baking.
I hope you try it out fast!
- 250 g of flour (type 550)
- 140 g lukewarm water
- 0.5 teaspoon salt (= 1 gest. TL)
- 0.5 Tl of sugar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tsp dried baking yeast (= 2 used tsp)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 egg (alternatively: 2 tbsp milk)
- 500 g TK spinach – thawed
- 2 – 4 tablespoons yogurt (optional)
- 300 g of cheese (free choice – hard cheese, cheese in brine, Gouda, etc.)
- 1 – 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1 tbsp sesame (optional)
- Mix sugar and lukewarm water. Add the yeast and stir well. Let stand briefly until bubbles form.
- Put flour in a bowl. Add yeast mixture, salt and oil. The whole with your hands for about 5 minutes to a homogeneous dough process. To do this, first apply the liquid with a fork and then knead the dough with your hands. Form the dough into a ball and moisten with a little oil. Put in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or cling film. Let it rise for 60 – 90 minutes until the dough has visibly increased in volume.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Coarsely chop the thawed spinach. Rub the cheese (Gouda, hard cheese, etc.), dice or crumble with your hands. Finely grate garlic / dice / squeeze.
- Mix the spinach, cheese, garlic, yoghurt and sesame in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside until use.
- Preheat oven incl. Baking tray at 210 ° C circulating air or 230 ° C top / bottom heat.
- Degrease the dough by light pressure on the surface. Place on a floured work surface, divide into 3 to 4 portions and make them look round.
- The balls can be processed immediately, but it is better if you let them rest for about 20 – 30 minutes under a damp cloth!
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface to an oval. The thickness should be about 5 mm. Place the dough on baking paper and place part of the filling in the middle. Leave enough space on the edge. Now hit the edge (see photo above) and hit the ends over each other and press together. Do the same with the rest of the dough.
- Stir egg and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl and sprinkle with the outside of the pide. Put the finished pide on the baking paper in the oven. I put the baking paper on a chopping board before and then carefully pull the baking paper from the board onto the baking sheet
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, cut open and enjoy!